Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Grain of Salt

When I was a little girl, I made up my mind I would marry someone successful. Even at the age of 9 I knew. But success can't be measured by what is or isn't in your wallet or the number of Facebook friends you have. Success comes from passion. And I'm not talking about what comes from a bottle of whipped cream, but the priceless kind, the one that you're born with. And if you're lucky, really lucky, that little seed of passion grows and grows and sprouts into something more.

10 years later, I did it. I found him. I lay my head down on my pillow knowing I can cross it off my life's To Do list. I can see the passion in his eyes, and the thirst that grows deep inside him for more - for independence and adulthood. I see a man that I can trust. I close my eyes and fall backward. I feel the warm wind from behind as he magically appears and catches me before the earth beneath me gives way and I fall into eternity.

Success, I have found thee.

But every road has its bumps. So what if the shortest route has a few along the way? What if it has hidden monsters and one way doors that lead to oblivion? What if every 1 in 200 people who take the same route fall off the face of the earth without a word? What if you draw the short straw and never make it home? Who will pay for those crimes? What then?

Who's the selfish one here, the greedy one? Is it me?

1 comment: